Saturday, January 26, 2013

You know your an OT student when...

You know you are an OT student when you are washing your hair and when you close your eyes you think to yourself, "Boy it would suck to be blind and have a problem with your vestibulocochlear nerve."
For those of you who don't know, your vestibulocochlear nerve is a nerve that helps with balance. If it stops functioning properly you will have trouble balancing with your eyes closed because you now rely heavily on your sight to keep your balance. In other words, if you were blind and you had vestibulocochlear dysfunction, keeping balance would be hard.

You randomly think to yourself while watching people move what muscles they are using for those movements.
Nerdy, I know. :P

When you fidget you now focus on joints that you either didn't know existed or had never thought about before. 
I am a fidgeter (is that a word?), always have been. Now when I fidget I fidget by moving my sternoclavicular joint (the joint between your breast and collar bones) and my carpometacarpal joints (the joints between your bones of the wrist and the bones of the palm of your hand. :P
In the circle is your sternoclavicular joint. You can feel it move by putting
your fingers on that spot and moving your shoulder forwards and backwards.
Source:
 http://classconnection.s3.amazonaws.com/533/flashcards/1013533/png/sternoclavicular_joint1351469769017.png

The circles represent the carpometacarpal joints. You don't palpate the joints
so much as make the metacarpal move ( the long skinny bones in the picture).
 Joints 2 and 3 don't have much movement at all but you can get 1, 2, and 5 to move. Try it sometime ;)
Source: http://www.mananatomy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/carpometacarpal_joints.jpg
Now that you know just how weird I am let's proceed to a recap of my week.

First week of classes are over, hooray, although, I will be a lot more excited after next week when I have survived a full week of classes.

The first week back is always an adjustment and next week will be even more of one, having a complete week of classes. Second semester always seems harder than first semester, I think it's because some of the novelty of being in school has began to wear off. Nevertheless, I will make it through. I always do. :P

Have a great one!
-Veronica


No comments:

Post a Comment