Friday, March 14, 2014

I Made Jesus Face-Palm

Hi Friends,

I have a funny story to tell you. First let me start by saying that I am far from being a biblical scholar. There are certain stories of the Bible I know relatively well, some I know a little about, and some I know nothing at all about. That is why I chose to read the Bible for lent (and hopefully beyond as you will soon see).

I know who John the Baptist is. I remember learning about how Jesus was baptized by him and how they were cousins. I don't remember learning that he was imprisoned. When I read this, I was wondering when he was going to get out. I was reading along when I was stopped by this headline, "John the Baptist is Beheaded."

I cried to my mother who was sitting next to me, "They beheaded John the Baptist?! I didn't know they beheaded John the Baptist." I must have looked quite shocked because my mother told me, "Yes, they did but don't worry honey, it was a long time ago, he's okay with it now." That made me laugh and lightened my mood considerably. ;)

My mom then asked me how I'd missed learning about it and I honestly don't know. I semi-remember learning about someone being beheaded and served on a silver platter but I had no idea it was John the Baptist.

So there you have it. I'm pretty sure Jesus and John the Baptist face-palmed. Considering I went to church school from the age of 3 until I was 15 and then went to a Christian college, I'd say that they did (if any of my teachers are reading this, they probably are too).

I had thought I had read most of the New Testament but I guess I was wrong. :P You can tell I got through Biblical Literature in college by sheer luck. :P

I wasn't going to share this story (since it is embarrassing if you were brought up in the church) but then I thought it might help someone else in some way. Either simply to make them laugh or make them feel better about their biblical knowledge.

Here are the good things about Wednesday:
1. Found out about an answered prayer.
-There is a little boy, Ben, who is the nephew of a college classmate of mine. He has an aggressive brain tumor that in addition to being a threat to his life, causes terrible headaches. There is a whole community of people praying for Ben and his family. His mother posted a blog post about how he is doing and currently his headaches have been kept at bay by his medicine regimen. This is great to hear! On behalf of his family, I ask that you please pray for Ben and his family.
Here is the blog his mother writes if you are interested in checking it out:
http://bensauer.blogspot.com/

2. Having your mom make you laugh even when you feel like a fool. :)

3. Eating a really tasty dinner.
-Have you ever tomato sausage? It's awesome. Last night we had tomato sausage burgers and they were delicious. :)

Today's good things:
1. Found a really nice present for my niece's first communion.
-I went to a local thrift-shop today and there it was on the shelf, waiting for me to buy it and take it home. ;)

2. Eating another really tasty dinner.
-Today we had french bread pizzas for dinner. This is one of my favorite kinds of pizza. It was also delicious. ;)

Hope you are all doing well.

Thank you for reading.

Blessings,
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment